April 17, 2008
Weekend Notes in PDF Format
Air Force (11-22) vs. Utah Valley (7-24-1) & Northern Colorado (12-22)
vs. Utah Valley - Friday, April 18 - Jackson Field - Greeley, Colo. - 10 a.m. MST
vs. Northern Colorado - Friday, April 18 - Jackson Field - Greeley, Colo. - 2 a.m. MST
vs. Utah Valley - Saturday, April 19 - Jackson Field - Greeley, Colo. - 10 a.m. MST
vs. Northern Colorado - Sunday, April 20 - Jackson Field - Greeley, Colo. - 2 p.m. MST
- Live internet radio available for the Utah Valley games at www.wolverinegreen.com
- Live internet radio available for the Northern Colorado games at www.1310KFKA.com
- Live stats available for all four games at: http://www.unco.edu/athletics/baseball/xlive.htm
- Links to radio and live stats also available on baseball schedule page at www.goairforcefalcons.com
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 44-197 in his 4th year at Air Force and 283-337 in his 13th year as a head coach.
Utah Valley: Steve Gardner (Weber State, 1971) is 461-419-1 in his 18th year at Utah Valley and is 637-522-1 in his 26th year overall as a head coach.
Northern Colorado: Kevin Smallcomb (Sacramento State, 1985) is 134-165 in his seventh year at Northern Colorado.
vs. Utah Valley: UVU leads the series 4-3.
vs. Northern Colorado: UNC leads the series, 86-47
vs. Utah Valley: Air Force defeated Utah Valley, 9-5, on May 4, 2007, at the Academy.
vs. Northern Colorado: Air Force defeated Northern Colorado, 5-3, in 10 innings in Pueblo on Feb. 26.
AF: One game winning streak.
Utah Valley: Four game losing streak.
Northern Colorado: Four game winning streak.
Falcons Take On Utah Valley and Northern Colorado
The Air Force Falcon baseball team (11-22) plays a total of four games over the weekend, April 18-20, against Utah Valley and Northern Colorado up in Greeley. Live internet radio and live stats will be available for all four games.
Noting the Falcons
- Air Force is 11-22 on the season. The Falcons were swept by New Mexico in Farmington, N.M. last week.
- Air Force is batting .255 on the season, has a pitching staff earned run average of 7.98 and is fielding .953.,br>
- Sophomore 1B/DH Matt Alexander leads the Falcons with a .319 batting average to go with five home runs and 33 RBIs.
- Sophomore reliever Michael Ruvolo leads the pitching staff with a 3-3 record, 4.75 ERA and four saves in 30.1 innings of work.
Scouting Utah Valley
- Utah Valley is 7-24-1 on the season after an 0-4 weekend at Nevada.
- The Wolverines are led offensively by sophomore third baseman Jace Brinkerhoff, who is batting .343 with four homers and 26 RBIs.
- Senior right hander Marcus Moore (4-5, 3.31) leads the staff with 65.1 innings pitched to go with 68 K's.
- UVU is batting .251 as a team, has a staff ERA of 6.01 and is fielding .960.
Series History vs. Utah Valley
- Air Force and Utah Valley have played each other seven times.
- The Wolverines lead the series 4-3.
- The two teams first met on Feb. 18, 2005 where the UVU won, 13-5, at the Academy.
Scouting Northern Colorado
- Northern Colorado is 12-22 on the season after dismantling Metro State, 29-10, on Wednesday.
- The Bears are led offensively by junior designated hitter Kevin Sandberg, who is batting .311 with six homers and 33 RBIs.
- Junior right hander Chris Reap (3-5, 5.05) leads the staff with 41.0 innings pitched to go with 33 K's.
- UNC is batting .267 as a team, has a staff ERA of 6.27 and is fielding .954.
Series History vs. Northern Colorado
- Air Force and Northern Colorado have played each other 134 times.
- The Bears lead the series 86-48.
- The two teams first met on March 22, 1957 where the Bears of Colorado State College defeated the Falcons, 13-3.
Former Falcon Karl Bolt Starts Season With Phillies Class A Team
2nd Lt. Karl Bolt, a 2007 graduate of Air Force begins his second season in the Philadelphia Phillies organization with the Lakewood BlueClaws (Lakewood, N.J.) in the Class A South Atlantic League. Bolt was a 15th round selection of the Phillies in the 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur draft. He spent the summer of 2007 playing for the Gulf Coast League Phillies and led the GCL in homers (8) and total bases (95).
As of April 17, Bolt was batting .242 (8-for-33) with three doubles in nine games played for the BlueClaws.
The Falcons host BYU for a three-game MWC set starting Thursday, April 24.