April 9, 2012
Weekly Notes in PDF
Air Force (7-22, 3-6) vs. Northern Colorado (10-16)/TCU (16-13, 6-3)
vs. Northern Colorado - Tuesday, April 10 (3 p.m. MST)
at TCU - Friday, April 13 (6:30 p.m. CST)
at TCU - Saturday, April 14 (4 p.m.)
at TCU - Sunday, April 5 (1 p.m.)
Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. for UNC Game
Lupton Stadium - Fort Worth, Texas for TCU series
Live Audio & Video Broadcast:
goFrogs.com for all TCU games
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 26-58 in his second year.
Northern Colorado: Carl Iwasaki (Northern Colorado 1985) is 34-48 in his 2nd year at UNC and 137-188 in his 8th year overall.
TCU: Jim Schlossnagle (Elon 1992) is 348-153 in his 8th year at TCU and 425-200 in his 12th year overall.
Last Time Out:
AF - Went 1-2 at home vs. New Mexico.
UNC - Went 1-3 last weekend at NJIT.
TCU - Went 2-1 at home against UNC Wilmington.
- Northern Colorado leads, 95-57
- TCU leads, 25-3
- Air Force went 3-1 vs. UNC last year.
- Air Force was swept in three game set at TCU last year.
Falcons Host Northern Colorado and Travels To TCU
Air Force baseball plays host to Northern Colorado and travels to TCU this week. The Falcons take on UNC on Tues., April 10 and TCU, Fri.-Sun., April 13-15 in Fort Worth, Texas. Live stats will be available for each game. Live video and audio broadcast will be available for the TCU series.
Scouting Northern Colorado
Northern Colorado is 10-16 on the season after going 1-3 at NJIT last weekend.
- Bears are batting .301, have an ERA of 7.06 and are fielding .946.
- Sr. SS Adam Hilker leads the team with a .447 average and has 18 runs and 20 RBIs.
- Sr. RHP Casey Coy (0-1, 10.80) is slated to start vs. the Falcons.
Series History vs. UNC
- Air Force and Northern Colorado have played each other 152 times.
- Air Force is 57-95 all time against Northern Colorado.
- The two teams first met on March 22, 1957 where the Bears of Colorado State College defeated the Falcons, 13-3.
Air Force-UNC Connections
- Air Force Sr. infielder Blair Roberts and Northern Colorado So. RHP Michael Wilkes are Parker, Colo., natives and attended Chaparral HS.
- UNC junior RHP Dan Talley is a Colorado Springs native. Talley is a graduate of Liberty High School.
TCU is 16-13 on the season after going 2-1 vs. UNC Wilmington over the weekend.
- The Horned Frogs are batting .237, have an ERA of 3.63 and are fielding .960.
- Sr. OF Jason Coats is TCU's top hitter, batting .297 with four homers and 25 RBIs.
- So. RHP Stephan Crichton (4-0, 3.20), So. Andrew Mitchell (3-2, 3.82) and Fr. RHP Preston Morrison (4-0, 1.35) are slated to start vs. AFA.
- TCU leads the series 25-3.
- The two teams first met on March 21, 1997, as Western Athletic Conference foes, where the Frogs defeated the Falcons, 9-3, at the Academy.
- Air Force has five players, four pitchers, on its roster from the State of Texas. Alex Baker, Ben Bertelson, Jack Hourin, David Thomas and Cameron White all hail from the Lone Star State.
Last Year vs. TCU
- The Falcons were swept in a three-game set at #15 TCU. The Falcons lost 10-2, 3-2 and 10-5.
- The Falcons batted .192, had a 7.50 ERA and fielded .953 vs. TCU.
- Jon McMahon, Parker Mayo, Nathan Carter and Alex Bast had three hits each in the series.
- McMahon led the Falcon offense with a homer and two doubles.
- RHP Sean Carley teld TCU to one run in 7.2 innings pitched Saturday in the 3-2 loss.
Looking for First True Road Win
Air Force is 0-16 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
Recapping UNM Series
- Air Force went 1-2 vs. New Mexico over the weekend. The Falcons lost 19-0 on Thursday, 17-2 Friday and won 1-0 Saturday.
- The Falcons batted .219, had an ERA of 9.33 and fielded .933 vs. UNM.
- Evan Abrecht tossed a four-hit shutout on Saturday.
- Cameron White struck out six batters on Thursday.
- Senior Blair Roberts was AFA's top hitter, batting .444 (4-for-9).
- Freshman Brian Sicher had the game-winning RBI against UNM Saturday.
- Freshman Noah Pierce scored the game-winning run vs. UNM.
- Junior IF Matt Thorne returned to action after missing first 26 games on season due to injury and batted .333 (3-for-9) in the series.
- Tyler Saleck had a career-high two hits in game two.
- David Thomas hit hist second homer of the season in game two.
Abrecht Named MW Co-Pitcher of the Week
Evan Abrecht of Air Force was named Mountain West Baseball Co-pitcher of the week for games played from April 2-8, 2012.
Abrecht, a senior from Farmington, Ark., led the Falcons to their first win over New Mexico since 2006 on Saturday, snapping a 22-game losing streak to the Lobos. The right-hander tossed four-hit, 1-0 shutout, allowing just one extra-base hit to the top hitting team in the MW. Abrecht faced no more than four batters in an inning, striking out two, walking none and inducing 21 ground ball outs. It was AFA's first 1-0 win since 1998.
Falcon Offense Improved in MW Play
Air Force is batting .291 in Mountain West play. That number is .96 points higher than the teams' .195 batting average in non-conference games. The Falcons are batting .227 overall. The Falcons have four players batting over .365 in MW play.
Kline Injured at San Diego State
Air Force sophomore first-baseman Seth Kline was injured in a bang-bang play at first-base against San Diego State on March 30. Kline suffered facial injuries that will keep him out of the linep for at least the next couple of weeks. Kline, Air Force's cleanup hitter, was batting .350 at the time of the injury, including a .444 average in Mountain West play.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Eight weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 5.20 ERA. That total is 0.28 runs a game higher after 29 games compared to last year but 5.38 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its one of its best starts in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.54 ERA, having struck out 141 in 174.1 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 4.25 ERA and just two years ago had a 11.14 ERA.
Weekend Rotation Very Strong
Air Force's weekend rotation of So. RHP Cameron White, Jr. LHP Ben Bertelson and Sr. RHP Evan Abrecht is one of the best weekend rotations at Air Force in recent memory. All three rank in the MW top 10 in innings pitched and strikeouts. Bertelson and White rank second in the conference with 44 K's, while Abrecht is seventh with 36. The trio has pitched six complete games over 22 starts.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 26 of 29 games and four or more rookies in 10 games.
The Falcons travel to UNLV, April 20-22.