April 8, 2013
Notes in PDF
at Omaha Mavericks - Tuesday, April 9 - 6 pm CST
at Creighton Jays - Wednesday, April 10 - 3 pm CST
San Diego State Aztecs - Friday, April 12 - 3 pm MST
San Diego State - Saturday, April 13 - 1 pm
San Diego State - Sunday, April 14 - 12 pm
Omaha game at Werner Park - Omaha, Neb.
Creighton game at TD Ameritrade Park - Omaha, Neb.
San Diego State Series at Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
- Live stats and audio for Omaha game at Omavs.com
- Live stats and audio for Creighton game at gocreighton.com
- Links to livestats and audio also available through goairforcefalcons.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 42-96 in his third year.
Omaha: Bob Herold (Omaha, 1972) is 430-295-2 in his 13th year at UNO.
Creighton: Ed Servais (Wisconsin-La Crosse 1980) is 345-201 in his 11th year at Creighton and 527-283-1 in his 19th year overall.
San Diego State: Tony Gwynn (San Diego State) is 307-326 in his 11th year at SDSU.
Air Force - 9-21, 3-7 Mountain West
UNO - 10-15
Creighton - 18-6
SDSU - 17-15, 8-4 Mountain West
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 1-2 vs. New Mexico
UNO - Took two games from Oakland on Sunday.
Creighton - Swept Bradley over the weekend.
SDSU - Swept Nevada over the weekend.
vs. UNO - AF leads 4-2
vs. Creighton - Creighton leads 19-7
vs. SDSU - SDSU leads 85-19
Falcons Travel to Omaha and Creighton and host San Diego State
The Air Force baseball plays five games this week. The Falcons travel to Omaha, Neb. to take on Omaha and Creighton, April 9-10. The Falcons then host San Diego State April 12-14.
Series History vs. Omaha
- Air Force leads the series vs. UNO 4-2.
- The two teams first met in 1999.
- Air Force and Omaha split their two games earlier this season. The Falcons took game one 2-0 and the Mavericks won game two 11-10.
- Omaha is 10-15 on the season.
- The Mavericks are batting .285, have a 5.14 ERA and are fielding .965.
- IF Alex Mortensen leads the team in hitting, batting .356 with 16 runs scored.
- RHP Zach Williamsen (1-1, 2.16) leads the team in pitching.
- UNO has thre players on its roster from Colorado.
Jr. RHP Kyler Brady - Littleton (Columbine HS)
Fr. RHP Tyler Fox - Thornton (Mountain Range HS)
Fr. IF Connor Messinger - Niwot (Niwot HS)
- AF Jr. OF/RHP Davis Baska and UNO So. IF Brett Miller hail from Overland Park, Kan. Baska attended St. Thomas Aquinas HS and Miller attended.
Series History vs. Creighton
- Air Force is 19-7 all-time vs. Creighton.
- The teams first met in 1970.
- The last meeting saw the two teams split a pair of games at the Academy in 2011.
- Creighton is 18-6 on the season.
- The Jays are batting .303, have a 3.82 ERA and are fielding .979.
- IF Jake Peter leads the team in hitting, batting .402. Peter also has not allowed a run in eight appearances as a pitcher.
- Creighton has three players on its roster from Colorado.
Fr. IF Tommy Clouthier (Highlands Ranch - Mountain Vista HS)
Jr. OF Ben Lahn (Westminster - Mullen HS)
Nick Highberger (Rye - Rye HS)
Series History vs. San Diego State
- Air Force and San Diego State have played each
other 104 times.
- The Aztecs lead the series 85-19.
- The two teams first met on April 1, 1961, where
the Aztecs won, 6-3.
- San Diego State is 17-15, 8-4 on the season.
- The Aztecs are batting .255, have a 3.81 ERA and are fielding .974.
- C Jake Romanski leads the team in hitting, batting .384 with 15 RBIs.
- Closer Bubba Derby (3-1, 2.70) leads the team in pitching with seven saves.
- Air Force has three players on its roster from California.
Sr. RHP Todd Del Toro - Mission Viejo (JSerra Catholic)
Fr. OF Drew Krassny - Encinitas (La Costa Canyon HS)
Fr. RHP Steven Trojan - Mission Viejo (Capistrano Valley HS)
Recapping New Mexico Series
The Falcons went 1-2 over the weekend vs. New Mexico. The Lobos won game one 11-5 and game two 19-5 before the Falcons took game three 11-4.
- The Falcons batted .358, had a 9.33 ERA and fielded .961 in the series.
- Spencer Draws batted .667 (4-for-6) to lead the Falcon offense.
- David Baska hit .500 with two homers and six runs scored.
- Steven Trojan pitched a career-high seven innings in the win Sunday.
Air Force-San Diego State Game To Be Televised
CBS Sports Network (CBSSN) has selected to broadcast one Mountain West baseball contest in May and it will be the Air Force at San Diego State baseball showdown on May 11 at 1 p.m. PT.
Air Force has 10 one-run losses on the season, four by walk-off. The Falcons are 2-10 in one-run games so far this season and were 4-6 last year.
Air Force has played 24 road games to just six home games so far in 2013. The Falcons are hitting .108 points higher and fielding .024 percent better at home. The Falcons play 10 of their final 24 games at home.
Trio of Falcons batting over .400 in MW Play
Air Force has three players batting over .400 in Mountain West play so far this season. Freshman DH Peter Johnson is batting .419, senior C/OF Garrett Custons is batting .410 and junior 1B Seth Kline is batting .405. The last Falcon to bat over .400 in conference play was K.J. Randhawa, who batted .405 as a freshman in 2007.
Trojan Impressive As a Freshman
Freshman RHP Steven Trojan has pitched effectively for the Falcons so far in his rookie campaign. The Mission Viejo, Calif. native leads the Falcons with a 3-2 record and 3.71 ERA. His .206 opponents batting average is currently the lowest mark in the Mountain West. Trojan has allowed just 33 hits in 43.2 innings pitched.
The Falcons host Northern Colorado on April 16 then travel to Fresno State to play five games in three days April 19-21.