March 22, 2012
Friday, March 23 (3 p.m.)
Saturday, March 24 (1 p.m.)
Sunday, March 25 (12 p.m.)
Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo.
AF: Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 23-50 in his second year.
UNLV: Tim Chambers (Southern Utah, 1989) is 43-36 in his second year at UNLV.
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 0-2 at Oklahoma Tuesday.
UNLV - Went 0-3 at home against TCU last weekend and lost Wednesday at Arizona State.
UNLV leads, 70-20
- Air Force went 1-2 vs. UNLV last year at the Academy.
Falcons Open MW Play Hosting UNLV
After 18-straight games on the road to start 2012, Air Force baseball plays its home and Mountain West Conference-opener vs. UNLV this weekend, March 23-25, at Falcon Field. Admission is free for all Falcon home games. Livestats and audio broadcast will be available for all three games.
Wrapping Up 18-Straight On Road To Start 2012
Air Force has played its first 18 games to start the 2012 season on the road. Air Force plays its first home games this weekend vs. UNLV. Air Force plays just 14 home games and just two mid-week non-conference home games, both vs. Northern Colorado.
Scouting The UNLV
UNLV is 10-11 on the season after going 0-3 vs. TCU over the weekend and falling at Arizona State on Wednesday.
- The Rebels are batting .272, have an ERA of 3.94 and are fielding .963.
- Jr. OF Brandon Bayardi is UNLV's top hitter, batting .277 with two homers and 20 RBIs.
- Sr. RHP Joe Robinson (2-2, 2.93), Fr. LHP Zak Qualls (2-1, 3.38) and Fr. RHP Erick Fedde (1-2, 3.23) are slated to pitch vs. AFA.
Series History vs. UNLV
- Air Force and UNLV have played each other 90 times.
- The Rebels lead the series 70-20.
- The two teams first met on March 14, 1970, where the Falcons defeated the Rebels, 2-1.
Last year vs. UNLV
- The Falcons went 1-2 vs. UNLV last year at Falcon Field.
- The Falcons batted .284, had a 5.00 ERA and fielded .958 vs. UNLV.
- Garret Custons is Air Force's top returning hitter last year vs. UNLV, batting .667 (8-for-12).
- Ben Bertelson and Evan Abrecht started vs. UNLV last year.
Recapping Oklahoma Series
- Air Force went 0-2 vs. Oklahoma in a doubleheader Tuesday.
- The Falcons lost 8-5 and 6-2.
- The Falcons notched back-to-back 10-plus hits games vs. OU, doing so for the first time this season.
- The Falcons batted .284, fielded .959 and had a 6.19 ERA vs. OU.
- Garrett Custons batted .667 (6-for-9) with a homer, two doubles, three runs and three RBIs.
- Alex Bast also homered, in the same inning as Custons, vs. OU.
- Noah Pierce hit his first-career triple.
- Ben Bertelson struck out seven in 4.1 innings vs. OU.
- David Baska, Alex Baker and Mike Kazakoff had scoreless relief outings vs. OU.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Five weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 4.20 ERA. That total is 0.68 runs a game lower after 18 games compared to last year and 6.0 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 3.87 ERA, having struck out 85 in 107.0 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 3.96 ERA and just two years ago had a 10.05 ERA.
White Leads MW In Innings and Strikeouts
Sophomore right-hander Cameron White is developing into an effective front-line starting pitcher for Air Force. White enters the weekend with team-leading totals of a 2.10 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 34.1 innings. White leads the Moutain West in innings pitched and strikeouts and is second in ERA. White has allowed just eight earned runs through his first five starts. In both of White's complete game efforts, the Falcons failed to score a run.
Freshmen Seeing Significant Action
Several freshman are seeing immediate playing time for the Falcons this year. Six freshmen has started in the field for the Falcons. Air Force has at least three freshmen in 15 of 18 games and four or more rookies in five games.
Custons Amongst Top MW Hitters & Catchers
Junior C/OF Garrett Custons currently ranks in the Mountain West top 10 in eight offensive categories. In addition to his offensive numbers, Custons ranks first in the conference with five runners thrown out attempting to steal, despite starting just 6 of 16 games this season at catcher.
Looking for First True Road Win
Air Force is 0-11 on the road this season. The Falcons are 4-3 in neutral-site games. Last year, Air Force was 3-18 on the road.
The Falcons head to Southern California for Spring Break for five games in seven days. Air Force plays a pair of road games at CSU Bakersfield, March 27-28. The Falcons then plays a weekend set at San Diego State, March 30-April 1.