March 19, 2008
Air Force (7-9) vs. BYU (8-10, 0-3)
at BYU - Thursday, March 20 - Larry H. Miller Field - Provo, Utah - 6 p.m. MST
at BYU - Friday, March 21 - Larry H. Miller Field - Provo, Utah - 6 p.m. MST
at BYU - Saturday, March 22 - Larry H. Miller Field - Provo, Utah - 1 p.m. MST
Radio available at www.byucougars.com (subscription required). Live stats also available at www.byucougars.com
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 40-184 in his 4th year at Air Force and 279-324 in his 13th year as a head coach.
BYU: Vance Law (BYU, 1978) is 273-213-2 in his 9th year at BYU.
BYU leads the series 128-23.
Air Force lost to BYU, 2-11, on April 28, 2007 in Provo.
AF: Two game winning streak.
BYU: One game winning streak.
Falcons Open MWC Play At BYU
The Air Force Falcon baseball team (7-9) opens Mountain West Conference play at BYU (8-10, 0-3) this Thurs.-Sat., March 20-22, in Provo, Utah. Live stats and internet radio will be available for the series.
Falcons To Play Nine Games In Eleven Days
Beginning with the BYU series, Air Force is slated to play nine games in a span of 11 days. With the Falcons being on Spring Break beginning with the Easter weekend, Air Force will sandwich an east coast road trip in between conference series with BYU and Utah. After the BYU series, the Falcons travel to Charleston, S.C. to play Charleston Southern on Monday, March 24. The Falcons then play at Savannah State on Tues.-Wed., March 25-26. Air Force wraps up the trip with a three-game set at Utah, Fri.-Sat., March 28-30.
Falcons To Play First 26 Away From Home
Air Force has had five games at Falcon Field snowed out. Four of the games did get played however, but at the Runyon Sports Complex in Pueblo. Air Force has played its first 16 games of 2008 away from Falcon Field. After the nine spring break games and another neutral-site game with Doane College on April 1, Air Force will have played 26 games away from home to start 2008. The Falcons' first home game is slated to be on April 2, against Doane College.
Noting the Falcons
- Air Force is 7-9 on the season after going 2-1 against South Dakota State last weekend in Pueblo.
- Air Force is batting .266 on the season, has a pitching staff earned run average of 7.34 and is fielding .947.
- Sophomore Matt Alexander leads the Falcons with a .357 batting average to go with four homers and 18 RBI.
- Sophomore reliever Michael Ruvolo leads the pitching staff with a 2-1 record, 3.86 ERA and three saves in 21 innings of work.
- Air Force is already one win shy of tying the 2007 team's eight total wins. It took the 2007 squad 36 games to get to seven wins while the 2008 team needed just 16.
- BYU is 8-10 on the season and 0-3 in conference play after getting swept at San Diego State last weekend.
- The Cougars are led offensively by junior outfielder Kent Walton, who is batting .333 with two homers and 12 RBI.
- Junior righthander Jordan Muir leads the staff with a 4.00 ERA and 19 K's in 27.0 innings pitched.
- BYU is batting .276 as a team and have a staff ERA of 6.65.
- Air Force and BYU have played each other 151 times.
- The Cougars lead the series 128-23.
- Air Force is 9-74 all-time in Provo.
- The Falcons last win in Provo was a 10-8 win on April 26, 2002.
- The two teams first met on June 2, 1962, where the Falcons defeated the Cougars, 4-2, at the District VII playoffs.
- Air Force has no players on its team from Utah.
- J.T. Musso is the lone BYU player from Colorado. Musso hails from Pueblo and attended Pueblo County HS.
- BYU pitching coach Bobby Applegate was the pitching coach at Air Force for your years, from 1998-2001.
The Falcons play three mid-week games after the BYU series. Air Force plays at Charleston Southern on Monday, March 24 and then take on Savannah State on Tues.-Wed., March 25-26. The Falcons then head to Utah for a three-game set, March 28-30.
Complete series notes in PDF link at top of release.