March 18, 2013
Notes in PDF
vs. Nebraska Omaha Mavericks - Tuesday, March 19 - 3 pm
vs. Nebraska Omaha - Wednesday, March 20 - 1 pm
vs. Fresno State Bulldogs - Friday, March 22 - 3 pm
vs. Fresno State - Saturday, March 23 - 1 pm
vs. Fresno State - Sunday, March 24 - 1pm
- All five games at Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. (Free Admission)
- Live stats for all five games at goairforcefalcons.com
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
- No radio
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 39-87 in his third year.
Nebraska Omaha: Bob Herold (Omaha, 1972) is 423-288-2 in his 13th year at UNO.
Fresno State: Mike Batesole (Cal State Fullerton, 1990) is 364-278 in his 11th year at FSU and is 619-436-1 in his 18th year overall.
Air Force - 6-12, 1-2
Nebraska Omaha - 3-8
Fresno State - 4-14, 1-2
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 1-2 at Nevada last weekend.
Nebraska Omaha - Split two games with Iowa over the weekend with one more game slated vs. Iowa Monday.
Fresno State - Went 1-2 hosting San Diego State.
vs. UNO - AF leads 3-1
vs. Fresno State - FSU leads 4-2
Falcons Host Nebraska Omaha and Fresno State
The Air Force baseball has a busy week, opening its home portion of the 2013 season with five home games in six days. The Falcons host Nebraska Omaha on Tues.-Wed., March 19-20 and Fresno State, Fri.-Sun., March 22-24.
18 Road Games To Start 2013
For the second-straight season, the Falcons played 18 straight road games to start the season. After playing just 15 home games in 2012, the Falcons are slated to play 19 home games in 2013.
Series History vs. Nebraksa Omaha
- Air Force leads the series vs. UNO 3-1.
- The two teams first met in 1999 and last played in 2001.
Air Force vs. The Summit
- The Falcons are 24-20 all-time in games against The Summit League schools.
Scouting Nebraksa Omaha
- Nebraska-Omaha is 3-8 on the season.
- The Mavericks are batting .273, have a 4.78 ERA and are fielding .983.
- IF Taylor Clayton leads the team in hitting, batting .409.
- RHP Zach Williamsen (0-0, 1.64) leads the team in pitching.
Nebraska Omaha Connections
- UNO has thre players on its roster from Colorado.
Jr. RHP Kyler Brady - Littleton (Columbine HS)
Fr. RHP Tyler Fox - Thornton (Mountain Range HS)
Fr. IF Connor Messinger - Niwot (Niwot HS)
- AF Jr. OF/RHP Davis Baska and UNO So. IF Brett Miller hail from Overland Park, Kan. Baska attended St. Thomas Aquinas HS and Miller attended Blue Valley Northwest HS.
Series History vs. Fresno State
- Air Force is 2-4 all-time vs. Fresno State.
- The Falcons and Bulldogs were WAC Conference rivals from 1997-99.
Scouting Fresno State
- Fresno State is 4-14, 1-2 on the season.
- The Bulldogs are batting .228, have a 5.19 ERA and are fielding .952.
- OF Aaron Judge leads Fresno State in batting, with a .309 average to go with three homers and 12 RBIs.
- William Munro (1-1, 1.98) leads the Bulldogs in pitching, with 11 strikeouts in 23.0 innings pitched.
Fresno State Connections
- Air Force pitching coach Tim Dixon and Fresno State head coach Mike Batesole both have ties to Cal State Fullerton. Dixon played for the 1995 National Championship team, going 13-0 as a starting pitcher. Batesole played Collegiately at Oral Roberts but earned his Bachelor's and Master's degrees at CSUF.
- Air Force has three players on its roster from California.
Sr. RHP Todd Del Toro - Mission Viejo (JSerra Catholic)
Fr. OF Drew Krassny - Encinitas (La Costa Canyon HS)
Fr. RHP Steven Trojan - Mission Viejo (Capistrano Valley HS)
Recapping Nevada Series
Air Force went 1-2 at Nevada over the weekend.
- The Falcons lost 3-2 on Friday, 6-1 on Saturday and won 7-3 on Sunday.
- The Falcons batted .218, had a 4.32 ERA and fielded .982 in the series.
- First baseman Seth Kline led the Falcons at the plate, batting .455 (5-for-11) with.
- Steven Trojan picked up the win on Sunday, giving the Falcons its first MW road win since 2010.
- Cameron White tossed his second-consecutive complete game loss Friday.
- Bo Wilson picked up his second save of the season Sunday.
White Anchoring Pitching Staff
Junior right-hander Cameron White is off to one of the best starts ever by a Falcon pitcher. White currently leads the Mountain West with 38.2 innings pitched and is in the conference top 10 in ERA (2.56) and strikeouts (22). White has allowed just two walks all season, one of which is an intentional walk. The last Falcon to post an ERA below 3.00 was back in 1982. White currently has the sixth-lowest ERA in a season in school history.
Bertelson A Strikeout Machine
Senior left-hander Ben Bertelson currently ranks second in the Mountain West with 39 strikeouts in 29.2 innings pitched. The Midland, Texas native has struck out at least eight batters in four of five starts and has nine K's in three starts. Bertelson recently cracked Air Force's Top 10 list for strikeouts, ranking 10th with 178 K's.
Pitching Off To Hot Start
The Falcon pitching staff is off to a fast start to 2013. Air Force currently ranks third in the conference with a staff ERA of 4.28 and 147 strikeouts. The Falcons currently have their lowest ERA as a staff since 1979. The Falcons also boast two of the top 10 pitchers in strikouts.
Stellar Starting Pitching
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in 16 of 18 games this season. The starters have allowed three-or-fewer earned runs in 12 games.
The Falcon bullpen has proven to be solid for the Falcons also this season. The bullpen has allowed just earned run each of the past two weekends and has a combined ERA of 1.93 over the last four weeks. The Falcon bullpen has a 4.02 ERA on the season.
Air Force has six one-run losses on the season, two by walk-off. The Falcons are 2-6 in one-run games so far this season and were 4-6 last year.
The Falcons play five road games next week. Air Force travels to Wichita State for a pair of games on Tues.-Wed., March 26-27. The Falcons then head to UNLV for a three-game set, Fri.-Sun, March 29-31.