March 16, 2009
Complete Release in PDF Format
Air Force (5-9, 0-3) vs. Colorado Christian (9-15)/UNLV (11-6, 0-3)
vs. Colorado Christian - Tues., March 17 - 2:30 p.m. - Falcon Field, USAFA
Friday, March 20 - 7 p.m. (PST)
Saturday, March 21 - 2 p.m.
Sunday, March 22 - 1 p.m.
- UNLV series at Earl E. Wilson Stadium - Las Vegas, Nev.
Radio and Live Stats available at goAirForceFalcons.com Tuesday.
Live Video and Live Stats available at unlvrebels.com for the weekend.
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 55-217 in his 6th year at Air Force and 294-357 in his 15th year as a head coach.
Colorado Christian: Robb Pegg (Vanguard Univ., 1997) is 42-120 in his fourth year at CCU.
UNLV: Buddy Gouldsmith (Sacramento State, 1992) is 136-125 in his sixth year at UNLV and overall.
vs. CCU - Air Force leads the series 7-0.
vs. UNLV - UNLV leads, 64-17
vs. CCU - Air Force defeated CCU 18-4 last Wednesday, March 4, at the Academy.
vs. UNLV - Air Force took 2-of-3 in the last series of 2008.
Last Time Out:
Air Force: Was swept over the weekend at New Mexico.
Colorado Christian: Went 1-3 hosting Mesa State over the weekend.
UNLV: Was swept at San Diego State last weekend.
Scouting The Falcons
Air Force enters the week with a 5-9 overall record. The Falcons went 1-3 last week defeating Northern Colorado on Wednesday before getting swept in three games at New Mexico. Air Force's top hitter is junior first baseman Addison Gentry, who is batting .353 with three homers and 11 RBIs. Junior right-hander Alex Truesdale anchors the pitching staff and has a 2-2 record, 2.96 ERA and 20 strikeouts.
Scouting Colorado Christian
Colorado Christian enters the week with a 9-15 record. The Cougars are led offensivly by junior first-baseman /DH Michael Cavazos, who is batting .430 with three homers and 28 RBIs. CCU's top pitcher is senior RHP Bud Wilborn , who is 3-3 with a 6.35 ERA in 34 innings pitched. Colorado Christian is batting .362, fielding .957 and has a team ERA of 9.15.
Series History vs. Colorado Christian
- Air Force is 7-0 all time against Colorado Christian.
- The two team s first played on Feb. 4, 2006, with the Falcons sweeping a doubleheader, 5-0 and 2-1.
UNLV enters the week with a 11-6 record. The Rebels are led offensivly by junior catcher Drew Beuerlein, who is batting .458 with two homers and 20 RBIs. UNLV's top pitcher is freshman RHP Tanner Peters, who is 2-1 with a 2.62 ERA in 24 innings pitched. UNLV is batting .342, fielding .970 and has a team ERA of 5.46.
Series History vs. UNLV
- Air Force and UNLV have played each other 81 times.
- The Rebels lead the series 64-17.
- Air Force had lost 27 games in a row to UNLV until snapping the streak last year.
- The two teams first met on March 14, 1970, where the Falcons defeated the Rebels, 2-1
Air Force-UNLV Connections
- Air Force freshman Aaron Kurcz is a Las Vegas native and attended Durango High School.
Last Meeting vs. UNLV
Air Force took two of three from UNLV to end the 2008 season.
In game one, Air Force snapped a 27-game losing streak to UNLV with a 10-1 win. Alex Truesdale struck out eight in the complete-game win.
In game two, UNLV won 8-4. Jason Griggs was the bright spot for the Falcons, pitching 4.2 scoreless innings.
In game three, Air Force won 11-2. David Miller pitched six scoreless innings to pick up the win. Jake Allen and Nathan Carter hit two triples each and Chay Derbigny homered in his final game as a Falcon.
- Air Force is batting .263 as a team, ranking sixth in the MWC.
- Air Force is third in the conference with eight triples.
- The Falcons have been sucessful on 85.2 percent of steal attempts.
- Daniel Walker, Addison Gentry and Matt Alexander are three Falcon regulars batting over .300.
- Air Force has a 5.34 ERA, ranking fifth in the MWC. Air Force' s era last year was 8.34.
- The Falcons have thrown just four wild pitchers in 113 innings, tops in the MWC.
- Opponents are hitting .333 vs. Air Force. Opponents hit .358 vs. AFA in 2008.
- Alex Truesdale ranks third in the MWC in innings, eighth in strikeouts and ninth in ERA.
- Air Force is fielding .952 on the season, ranking seventh in the MWC.
- The Falcons fielded .955 in the UNM series, comitting five errors.
- K.J. Randhawa ranks third in the MWC with 51 assists.
- Addison Gentry is third in the MWC with 117 chances and 110 putouts.
All Falcon Home Games On Radio
Air Force baseball home games will be broadcast on 97.7 KAFA radio, the cadet run radio station at the Air Force Academy.
After taking Monday off, the Falcons play seven consecutive days next week during Spring Break. Air Force plays at Presbyterian, Savannah State, Charleston Southern and four games at the Citadel.