March 14, 2012
vs. Tennessee Martin - Friday, March 16 (12 p.m. CST)
at Saint Louis - Saturday, March 17 (3 p.m.)
vs. Western Illinois - Sunday, March 18 (11 a.m.)
Billiken Sports Center - St. Louis, Mo.
- TBD (link will be available on gameday at slubillikens.com if livestats are working).
Team Records/The Coaches:
AF (3-11): Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 22-47 in his second year.
UT-Martin (3-14): Bubba Cates (Delta State, 1982), 216-492-1, 15th year at UT-Martin. 472-650-1, 30th year overall.
SLU (12-5): Darin Hendrickson (SIUE, 1992) 127-114, 5th year at Saint Lous. 617-288, 16th year overall.
WIU (5-8): Mike Villano (Saginaw valley State, 2001) 40-85, 3rd year at Western Illinois.
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 0-3 at Portland last weekend.
UT-Martin - Went 0-3 at Indiana State last weekend and lost Tuesday at Evansville.
Saint Louis - Went 3-0 at home against North Dakota last weekend.
Western Illinois - Went 1-2 at Western Kentucky last weekend.
- First meeting against UT-Martin and Western Illinois.
- Air Force tied Saint Louis in its lone meeting in 1969.
Falcons Travel To Saint Louis Tournament
The Air Force baseball team travels to the Saint Louis Tournament this weekend, March 16-18, in St. Louis, Mo. The Falcons take on Tennessee-Martin, host SLU and Western Illinois. Live stats are slated to be available for all three games.
Tennessee-Martin is 3-14 on the season after getting swept at Indiana State over the weekend and falling at Evansville on Tuesday.
- The Skyhawks are batting .276, have an ERA of 7.38 and are fielding .942.
- Sr. OF Jordan leads the team with a .397 average to go with five homers and 15 RBIs.
- Jr. RHP Alex Mills (1-2, 3.33) anchors the pitching staff.
Scouting Saint Louis
Saint Louis is 12-5 season after sweeping North Dakota over the weekend and defeating Northern Illinois on Tuesday.
- The Billikens are batting .313, have an ERA of 3.46 and are fielding .971.
- Jr. OF Alex Kelly leads the team with a .413 average to go with three homers and 15 RBIs.
- Jr. RHP Alex Aleman (3-0, 0.31) anchors the pitching staff.
Scouting Western Illinois
Western Illinois is 5-8 on the season after going 1-2 at Western Kentucky over the weekend.
- The Leathernecks are batting .246, have an ERA of 4.36 and are fielding .946.
- Sr. OF Ryan Cowhey leads the team with a .390 average to go with eight RBIs.
- Fr. RHP Nick Smith (2-0, 2.92) is slated to start vs. AFA.
Falcons vs. Ohio Valley Conference (UT-Martin)
- Air Force is 1-0 all-time vs. OVC schools.
- The Falcons defeated Murray State, 11-2, in 2004.
Falcons vs. Atlantic 10 (SLU)
- Air Force is 1-2-1 all-time vs. Atlantic 10 teams.
- Air Force tied Saint Louis 0-0 in 1969 for its lone meeting.
Falcons vs. The Summit (Western Illinois)
- Air Force is 20-19 all-time vs. schools from The Summit Conference.
- Air Force's last opponent from the Summit was Southern Utah in 2009.
Air Force-Opponent Connections
- Jr. IF Matthew Thorne is a native of Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- UTM Jr. LHP Trevor Lundgrin is a native of Aurora, Colo. Lundgrin attended Rangeview HS.
- So. OF Patrick Lobo and SLU So. LHP Damian Rivera and Jr. RHP Marco Mejia are all Miami, Fla., natives. Lobo attended Coral Reef Senior HS, Rivera Braddock HS and Mejia Belen Jesuit HS.
- SLU Sr. OF Alex Kelly is a native of Fort Collins, Colo. Kelly attended Rocky Mountain HS.
- Fr. C Brian Sicher and WIU Sr. OF Ryan Cowhey and Sr. RHP Alexander Zarate are all natives of Orland Park, Ill. Sicher attended St. Rita HS, Cowhey and Zarate both attended Carl Sandburg HS.
- WIU assistant coach Shane Davis was an assistant baseball coach at Air Force during the 2009 season. Davis worked with the catchers while at Air Force.
Recapping Last Week
- Air Force went 0-3 last weekend at Portland.
- The Falcons lost 1-0 Friday and lost 6-2 and 2-1 Saturday.
- Air Force batted .116, fielded .981 and had a 3.00 ERA against Portland.
- Blair Roberts led the Falcons with a .333 average.
- Garrett Custons hit his second homer of the season.
- Casey Gibson had his first-career hit.
- Cameron White pitched his second-straight complete game and worked a career-high eight innings.
- Ben Bertelson pitched a career-high eight innings.
- Game one of the series was played in 1 hour and 41 minutes.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
Four weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 4.03 ERA. That total is 1.1 runs a game lower after 14 games compared to last year and 5.58 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Starting Pitching Also Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 3.63 ERA, having struck out 63 in 84.1 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 4.06 ERA and just two years ago had a 11.86 ERA.
White Turning Into Effective Starter
Sophomore right-hander Cameron White is developing into an effective front-line starting pitcher for Air Force. White enters the weekend with team-leading totals of a 1.59 ERA and 23 strikeouts in 28.1 innings. White leads the Moutain West in innings pitched and his second in ERA and strikeouts. White has allowed just five earned runs through his first four starts. Despite pitching back-to-back complete games, White has not had any run support, as the Falcons have failed to score a run in both games.
Custons Amongst Top MW Hitters
Junior C/OF Garrett Custons currently ranks in the Mountain West top 10 in 11 offensive categories. In addition to his offensive numbers, Custons ranks second in the conference with four runners thrown out attempting to steal, despite starting just 5 of 14 games this season at catcher.
The Falcons play two mid-week games at Oklahoma, March 20-21.