March 13, 2008
Series Notes in PDF Format
South Dakota State (4-7) vs. Air Force (5-8)
vs. South Dakota State - Friday, March 14 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - 2 p.m. MST
vs. South Dakota State - Saturday, March 15 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - 1 p.m. MST
vs. South Dakota State - Sunday, March 16 - Falcon Field - USAFA, Colo. - Noon MST
Radio available at www.gojacks.com beginning 20 minutes prior to first-pitch. Live stats available at www.goairforcefalcons.com
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 38-183 in his 4th year at Air Force and 277-323 in his 13th year as a head coach.
South Dakota Stat: Steve Trimper (Eastern Conn. St, 1992) is 57-52 in his 3rd year at UConn and 229-227-1 in his 10th year as a head coach.
Air Force leads the series 3-1
The Falcons last played the Jackrabbits on April 13, 1963, winning the game 12-5.
AF: One game losing streak.
South Dakota State: One game winning streak.
Falcons Host South Dakota State In Home Series Opener
The Air Force Falcon baseball team (5-8) plays host to South Dakota State (4-7) this weekend, March 14-16 at Falcon Field. Live stats will be available for all three games of the series.
Noting the Falcons
- Air Force is 5-8 on the season after going 3-3 at the Papa John's Palm Beach Challenge in Palm Beach, Fla. last weekend. The Falcons defeated Ohio State, Maine and Penn and lost to Lehigh, UConn and Penn State.
- Air Force is batting .263 on the season, has a pitching staff earned run average of 7.16 and is fielding .951.
- Sophomore Matt Alexander leads the Falcons with a .422 batting average to go with four homers and 17 RBI.
- Sophomore reliever Michael Ruvolo leads the pitching staff with a 2-1 record and 4.76 ERA in 17.0 innings of work.
Scouting South Dakota State
- South Dakota State enters the weekend with a 4-7 record.
- The Jackrabbits are led offensively by senior outfielder Korby Mintken, who is batting .429 with three homers and nine RBI.
- Junior righthander Robert Bulter leads the staff with a 4.50 ERA and s19 K's in 16.0 innings pitched. - SDSU is batting .272 as a team and have a staff ERA of 5.96.
- Air Force is 3-1 all-time against South Dakota State.
- The Falcons and Jackrabbits last played 45 years ago in 1963.
- Air Force is 3-0 at home.
Noting The Palm Beach Challenge
- The Falcons batted .281 and had a team ERA of 8.34 in their six games in Palm Beach.
- Matt Alexander batted .474 with three homers and eight RBI in the series.
- The Falcons swiped 10 bases in 14 attempts.
- Air Force hit seven homers in the six games and had just hit two overall in the previous nine games.
- Jake Allen and Matt Alexander both had two-homer games. Allen hit a pair against Lehigh and Alexander cranked two against Penn.
- The Falcons fielded .954 in the six games.
- Michael Ruvolo earned and win and picked up his first-career save in three appearances.
- Matt Barattino and Colin Shepherd both made their first-collegiate starts on the mound.
- Jeff Abt, Jason Griggs and Daniel Walker collected their first hits of the season in Palm Beach.
- Jake Petro did not allow a hit until the fifth inning against Maine and struck out six in eight innings, both career high's.
- Alex Truesdale struck out nine in 10 innings pitched in two starts.
Winning The Close Ones
Air Force won all three of their games in Palm Beach by two runs or less. The Falcons are 5-3 in games decided two run runs or less and are 5-1 in their last six games that were decided by two or less. Air Force is 5-3 on the season when holding opponents under ten runs.
Air Force Baseball To Host Free Clinic On Sunday, March 16
The Air Force baseball team will host a free baseball clinic to local area youths on Sunday, March 16. The clinic will take place upon the completion of the Air Force-South Dakota State game which begins at Noon at Falcon Field.
All kids and coaches are encouraged to attend the hour-long clinic. The Air Force coaching staff will cover the basics of hitting, pitching and fielding. All Falcon baseball games are open to the public and admission is free.
The Falcons host Colorado College on Tuesday, March 18. Air Force then begins the first-leg of their Spring break opening MWC play at BYU Thurs.-Sat., March 20-22. The Falcons play nine games in 11 days starting on the 20th.
Complete notes in PDF link at top of release.