BGSU - Lost to Xavier Saturday in Winter Haven.
Bradley - Went 2-1 at Tennessee Classic in Knoxville.
Bucknell - Went 1-2 at VMI over the weekend.
vs. MU - First Meeting
vs. BGSU - BGSU leads 1-0
vs. Bradley - First Meeting
vs. Bucknell - First Meeting
Falcons Travel To RussMatt Central Florida Invitational
The Air Force baseball team travels to Winter Haven/Auburndale, Fla., to take part in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational. The Falcons take on Miami (Ohio), Bowling Green, Bradley and Bucknell.
Air Force vs. Opponents
- Air Force takes on Miami (Ohio), Bradley and Bucknell for the first time ever.
vs. Bowling Green
- Air Force is 0-1 all-time vs. Bowling Green. Bowling Green defeated Air Force 18-0 on March 24, 1977.
Scouting The Opponents
Miami(Ohio) is 4-6 on the season after splitting games with Lehigh.
- The Redhawks are batting .261, have an ERA of 2.84 and are fielding .965.
- Sr. IF Joe Weldon leads the team with a .344 average to go with two homers and nine RBIs.
- Sr. LHP Tyler Mellings (3-0, 1.00) is MU's top pitcher so far in 2011.
Bowling Green is 1-6 on the season after falling to Xavier in Winter Haven.
- The Falcons are batting .266, have an ERA of 6.24 and are fielding .961.
- Jr. OF Jon Berti leads the team with a .412 average.
- Jr. RHP Ross Gerdeman (0-0, 2.57) is BGSU's top pitcher.
Bradley is 6-4 on the season after going 2-2 at the Tennessee Classic.
- The Braves are batting .258, have an ERA of 3.62 and are fielding .957.
- So. IF Jason Leblebjian leads the team with a .3612 average to go with 11 runs scored.
- Jr. RHP Jacob Booden (1-0, 0.68) is Bradley's top pitcher.
Bucknell is 3-7 on the season after going 1-2 at VMI.
- The Bison are batting .255, have an ERA of 10.71 and are fielding .962.
- Sr. 1B Doug Shribman is Bucknell's top hitter, with a .289 average to go with six homers and 14 RBIs.
-Jr. RHP Jack Boehm (1-0, 5.02) is Bucknell's top pitcher.
Falcons vs. Opponent Conferences
- Air Force 2-2 all-time vs. schools from the Mid-American Conference.
- Air Force is 7-29 all-time vs. schools from the Missouri Valley Conference.
- Air Force is 30-22 all-time vs. schools from the Patriot League.
Recapping Last Week at Coca-Cola Classic
- Air Force went 1-3 last weekend at the Coca-Cola Classic in Surprise, Ariz. The Falcons defeated Northern Illinois (10-8) and lost to UC Riverside (17-9), Cal State Bakersfield (5-0) and Kansas (4-1).
- The Falconss batted .272 in the series, had an ERA of 8.74 and fielded .966.
- Nathan Carter was AFA's top hitter, batting .471 (8-for-17).
- Patrick Lobo hit his first-career homer for the Falcons and batted .444.
- Alex Bast's grand slam helped lift Falcons to win over NIU.
- Reliever Alex Baker led the Falcons with five strikeouts in four innings pitched.
- Reliever Stephen Colangelo picked up his first-career save and did not allow a run in three appearances.
Homecoming For Falcons From Florida
Air Force features nine players on its 35-player roster hailing from Florida, the most from any state.
The Fla., natives encompass three starters in the field, a starting pitcher and closer.
Falcons From Florida
So. OF/C Alex Bast - Pensacola, Pensacola Catholic
So. RHP Sean Carley - Melbourne, Melbourne Central Catholic
So. RHP Stephen Colangelo - Coral Springs, Stoneman Douglas
So. C/OF Garrett Custons - Sarasota/Sarasota
So. LHP Kincaid Koehler - Vero Beach/Vero Beach
Fr. OF Patrick Lobo - Miami/Coral Reef Senior
Fr. C/OF Shaun Lovett - Port Charlotte/Port Charlotte
Fr. RHP Kyle Van Alstine - Merritt Island/Merritt Island
So. RHP Matt Zettler - Winter Springs/Winter Springs
Abrecht Off To 3-0 Start
Junior right-hander Evan Abrecht is off to a hot start, going 3-0 in his first three outings. Abrecht is the first pitcher to start the season 3-0 in his first three starts at Air Force since Paul Vignola in 2003. Abrecht Is second on the team with 13 strikeouts in 17 innings and a 3.71 ERA.
Falcon Pitching Improved
All 11 returning pitchers that have pitched in 2011, have improved upon their previous seasons' ERA. AFA's ERA is 6.06 after 11 games, an improvement of almost three fewer runs per game from the 9.75 ERA after 11 games in 2010.
Starting Pitching Off To A Good Start
Air Force starting pitchers are off its best start in nearly a decade. The Falcon starting pitchers currently sport a 4.55 ERA, having struck out 41 in 59.1 innings. At this same point last year, the Falcons starters had a 10.44 ERA and had struck out 40 in 50 innings.
Relievers Off To Good Start As Well
The Air Force relief pitching corps has shown improvement as a group from 2010. Five relievers have sub-4.50 ERAs, with four below 3.38.
First Win Over Pac 10 School Since 1990
Air Force's 16-10 win over Washington was its first win over a Pac-10 conference school since 1990, a span of 21 years. The last team Air Force defeated from the Pac was none other than Washington at the Seattle Kingdome.
Coach Kaz In First Year As Head Coach
Maj. Mike Kazlausky makes his head coaching debut for the Falcons vs. Missouri State. Coach "Kaz" is the first Academy grad/player to be the head coach at Air Force. Kazlausky, a 1991 grad, is Air Force baseball's first military coach since Capt. Jim Hanley in 1988.
Quick Recap of 2010
Air Force went 13-42 overall in 2010. The Falcons were 3-20 in Mountain West Conference play for a sixth place record.
Air Force welcomes 12 newcomers to the team, including eight freshmen.
Carter Named Team Captain For 2011
Senior outfielder Nathan Carter is the team captain for the 2011 season. A three-year starter, Carter is Air Force's leader amongst returners with 158 career hits, 141 runs, 20 homers and 79 RBIs. His 26 career triples is first all-time at Air Force and five more than the next closest player.
Falcons With MLB Ties
Air Force features a pair of seniors that have family ties to Major League Baseball. Seniors Nathan Carter and Vai Schierholtz have older brothers on MLB rosters. Carter's brother, Chris, was an outfielder for the New York Mets last year and is now with the Tampa Bay Rays. Schierholtz's brother, Nate, is an outfielder for the 2010 World Series Champion San Francisco Giants. Carter and Schierholtz both hail from the East Bay region of Northern California and attended high schools just 10 miles apart from each other (Carter - De La Salle HS in Concord and Schierholtz - San Ramon Valley HS in Danville).
All Div. I Slate
Air Force's 2011 schedule is entirely vs. Div. I baseball teams for only the second time ever in the programs' 54 year history. The other season was 2005.
Falcons Play First 15 On Road
The Falcons play their first month of baseball away from Falcon Field. The Falcons will play 15 games over four weeks on the road. Air Force's first home game is a doubleheader vs. Creighton on Wednesday, March 16.
Air Force features six pitchers that stand 6-foot-3 or taller, including five that are at least 6-foot-4. Junior right-hander Vince Capra is Air Force's tallest player at 6-foot-6.
Conference Realignment On the Horizon
Air Force will play final conference games vs. Utah and BYU in 2011. Utah will join the Pac 10 (to become the Pac 12) and BYU will join the West Coast Conference (independent in football) in 2011-12. There will be just five baseball programs in the MWC in 2011-12. In 2012-13, the Mountain West will become a six team league, with the additions of Fresno State and Nevada and the departure of TCU to the Big East Conference.
After 15 straight games to start the season on the road, Air Force plays host to Creighton on Wednesday, March 16 with an 11 a.m. doubleheader at Falcon Field.