March 7, 2013
at Gardner-Webb - Friday, March 8 - 4 pm (EST)
at Gardner-Webb - Saturday, March 9 - 2 pm
at Gardner-Webb - Sunday, March 10 - 1 pm
- All three games at John Henry Moss Stadium - Boiling Springs, N.C.
Live Stats/Twitter (Updated)
- Live stats will be available for all three games.
- Live video will be available (fee required) Friday and Saturday (Sunday TBA) at BigSouthSports.com.
- Twitter updates at: @AF_Falcons
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 38-82 in his third year.
Gardner-Webb: Rusty Stroupe (Appalachian State, 1984) is 296-281-2 in his 11th year at Gardner-Webb and is 652-513-2 in his 23rd year as a head coach.
Location: Boiling Springs, N.C.
Mascot: Runnin' Bulldogs
Conference: Big South
Air Force - 5-7
Gardner Webb - 8-3-1
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 3-1 at Snowbird Classic in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda, Fla.
Gardner-Webb - Went 1-2 at the UNC Wilmington Tournament in Wilmington, N.C. and downed USC Upstate on Wednesday.
Series History vs. Gardner-Webb
- Air Force played Gardner-Webb for the first time last year. The Runnin' Bulldogs won the game 8-2. Ben Bertelson struck out 10 in the loss for the Falcons.
Air Force vs. Big South Conference
- The Falcons are 8-8 all-time in games against Big South schools.
- Gardner-Webb is 8-3-1 on the season.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs are batting .283, have a 2.39 ERA and are fielding .968.
- Junior outfielder J.J. Nazzaro leads the team with a .333 batting average.
- Junior RHP Andrew Barnett (1-0, 0.45) leads the pitching staff, having allowed just one earned run over 20.0 innings pitched on the season.
- Air Force assistant coach Toby Bicknell is a Charlotte, N.C. native. Bicknell attended Charlotte Christian High School and Wingate University in Wingate, N.C.
Recapping Snowbird Classic Weekend
Air Force went 3-1 at the Snowbird Classic last weekend.
- The Falcons defeated St. Bonaventure 4-3, Mount St. Mary's 7-3, lost to Georgetown 4-3 and defeated Western Michigan 8-3.
- The Falcons batted .307, had a 2.27 ERA and fielded .944 over the weekend.
- All four Falcon starting pitchers pitched at least six innings and struck out five.
- Freshman Bo Wilson and senior Jack Hourin picked up their first-career saves.
- Senior shortstop Matt Thorne led the offense, batting .538 (7-for-13).
Pitching Off To Hot Start
The Falcon pitching staff is off to a fast start to 2013. Air Force currently has a staff ERA of 4.43 and leads the Mountain West with 100 strikeouts. The Falcons currently have their lowest ERA as a staff since 1979. The Falcons also boast four of the top 10 pitchers in strikouts. Senior LHP Ben Bertelson leads the conference and ranks 17th in the nation with 26 strikeouts.
Air Force is getting steady production out of its starting pitching so far in 2013. The Falcon starters have logged at least five innings in all but one game this season and are unbeaten over their last seven outings. Three of Air Force's four starters have ERA's below 4.00 and all four rank in the conference top 10 in K's.
Falcons Nearing Milestones
Several Falcons are nearing the Falcon record charts.
- Senior LHP Ben Bertelson is five strikeouts shy of reaching the AF Top 10 list. He currently has 165 career K's.
- Bertelson and senior RHP Jack Hourin both have 59 career games pitched and are six appearances shy of the Top 10 list.
- Senior OF Alex Bast is just outside the AF Top 10 list for hits, at bats and sac bunts.
The Falcons open Mountain West play at new conference rival Nevada, Fri.-Sun., March 15-17, in Reno, Nev.