March 5, 2008
Series Notes in PDF Format
Air Force Baseball (2-5) @ Papa John's Palm Beach Challenge
vs. Maine - Thurs. March 6 - Santaluces Complex - Palm Beach, Fla., 7 p.m. EST
vs. Lehigh - Fri. March 7 - Santaluces Complex - Palm Beach, Fla., 2:45 p.m. EST
vs. Ohio State - Fri. March 7 - Santaluces Complex - Palm Beach, Fla., 7 p.m. EST
vs. Connecticut - Sat. March 8 - Santaluces Complex - Palm Beach, Fla., 7 p.m. EST
vs. Penn - Sun. March 9 - - Santaluces Complex - Palm Beach, Fla., 11 a.m. EST
- Times local to site
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 34-178 in his 4th year at Air Force and 273-318 in his 13th year as a head coach.
Maine: Steve Trimper (Eastern Conn. St, 1992) is 57-52 in his 3rd year at UConn and 229-227-1 in his 10th year as a head coach.
Lehigh: Sean Leary (Lehigh, 1993) is 238-292 in his 13th year at Lehigh.
Ohio State: Bob Todd (Missouri, 1971) is 801-409-2 in his 21st year at Ohio St. and 925-491-2 in his 24th year as a head coach.
Connecticut Jim Penders (UConn, 1994) is 133-96-2 in his 5th year at UConn.
Penn: John Cole (Ithaca, 1986) is 32-46 in his 3rd year at Penn and 261-119 in his 10th year as a head coach.
Air Force plays Maine and Penn for the first time ever. Air Force is 0-1 all-time against Lehigh and Ohio State and 1-0 against UConn.
vs. Lehigh: Lehigh defeated Air Force, 8-3, on March 5, 2005, in Bradenton, Fla.
vs. Ohio State: Ohio State defeated Air Force, 5-4, on Feb. 27, 2000, in Millington, Tenn.
vs. UConn: Air Force defeated UConn, 7-6, on Feb. 28, 1999, in Millington, Tenn.
Falcons Head To Palm Beach Papa John's Challenge
The Air Force Falcon baseball team (2-5) heads to Palm Beach, Fla., to take part in the Papa John's Palm Beach Challenge, Thurs.-Sun., March 6-9. The Falcons take on Maine, Lehigh, Ohio State, UConn and Penn at the Santaluces Complex in Palm Beach County.
Noting the Falcons
- Air Force is 2-5 on the season after going 1-2 at Mississippi State last weekend.
- Air Force is batting .248 on the season, has a pitching staff earned run average of 6.20 and is fielding .948.
- Freshman Nathan Carter leads the Falcons with a .417 batting average and .576 on base percentage.
- Sophomore reliever Michael Ruvolo leads the pitching staff with a 0.93 ERA in 9.2 innings of work and opponents are hitting .171 off of him.
- Maine enters the weekend with a 4-3 record.
- Maine is led offensively by senior senior of/1B Curt Smith, who is batting .571 with four homers and nine RBI.
- Sophomore righthander Joe Miller leads the staff with a 0.75 ERA and six K's in 12.0 innings pitched. Bears are batting .331 as a team and have a staff ERA of 6.02.
- Lehigh currently has a 4-6 record.
- The Mountain Hawks are led offensively by senior OF Joe Ercolano, who is batting .333 with six runs and seven stolen bases.
- Senior right-hander Joe Matteo leads the staff with a 3.18 ERA and eight K's in 11.1 innings pitched.
- Lehigh is batting .218 as a team and have a staff ERA of 5.96.
Scouting Ohio State
- Ohio State currently has a 4-2 record.
- The Buckeyes are led offensively by sophomore infielder Brian DeLucia, who is 5-for-5 on the season with a homer and two RBI.
- Freshman right-hander Dean Wolosiansky leads the staff with a 2-0 record, 1.12 ERA and six K's in 8.0 innings pitched.
- Ohio State is batting .296 as a team and have a staff ERA of 3.46.
- UConn currently has a 0-6 record.
- The Huskies are led offensively by freshman infielder Mike Olt, who is batting .409 on the season.
- Freshman left-hander Elliot Glynn leads the staff with 5.73 ERA and nine K's in 11.0 innings pitched.
- UConn is batting .201 as a team and have a staff ERA of 6.75.
- Penn is 0-1 on the season after losing 2-1 to West Chester.
- The Quakers had five hits in the first game by five different players.
- Sophomore right-hander Todd Roth started on the hill for Penn, allowing just two hits in three innings of work.
The Falcons return home for a three game set March 14-16, hosting South Dakota State.
For complete series notes click on PDF link at top of release.