Feb. 29, 2012
Weekend Notes in PDF
at Gardner Webb - Friday, March 2 (4 p.m. EST)
John Henry Moss Stadium - Boiling Springs, N.C.
at Wofford - Saturday, March 3 (2 p.m. doubleheader)
King Field - Spartanburg, S.C.
at USC Upstate - Sunday, March 4 (1 p.m.)
Harley Park - Spartanburg, S.C.
- In-game Twitter updates available at: @AF_Falcons
Team Records/The Coaches:
AF (3-4): Mike Kazlausky (USAFA 1991) is 22-40 in his second year.
Gardner Webb (5-2): Rusty Stroupe (Appalachian State, 1984), 261-252-1, 10th year at Gardner Webb. 617-485-1, 22nd year overall.
Wofford (3-3): Todd Interdonato (UNC Asheville, 2000) 83-141, 5th year at Wofford.
USC Upstate (6-1): Matt Fincher (Georgia Southern, 1984) 318-452, 15th year at USC Upstate.
Last Time Out:
Air Force - Went 2-1 against Navy at the 2012 Freedom Classic in Kinston, N.C.
Gardner Webb - Went 2-1 at home against La Salle last weekend.
Wofford - Went 1-2 at home vs. Pittsburgh last weekend.
USC Upstate - swept a three-game set vs. Eastern Kentucky last weekend.
First meeting against all three opponents.
Falcons Travel to Gardner Webb, Wofford and USC Upstate
The Air Force baseball team travels south to take on Gardner Webb, Wofford and USC Upstate this weekend, March 2-4. Livestats and twitter updates will be available for all four games.
Air Force vs. Big South (Gardner Webb)
- The Falcons are 8-7 all-time in games against Big South schools.
Air Force vs. Southern Conference (Wofford)
- The Falcons are 0-4 all-time against the So-Con schools, having lost all four games at The Citadel in 2009.
Air Force vs. Atlantic Sun Conference (USC Upstate)
- The Falcons are 0-2 all-time against the Atlantic Sun schools, having lost two games against Stetson in 1976.
Scouting Gardner Webb
- Gardner Webb is 5-2 on the season after going 2-1 against La Salle last weekend.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs are led offensively by junior C/1B John Harris, who is batting .435 with nine RBIs. Junior RHP Brock Wilson (1-1, 2.00) is slated to pitch against Air Force.
- Gardner Webb is batting .258 as a team and fielding .948. The pitching staff has a 3.14 ERA.
- Wofford is 3-3 on the season after going 1-2 vs. Pittsburgh last weekend.
- The Terriers are led offensively by senior catcher Mac Doyle, who is batting .375 with nine hits. Senior LHP Cash Collins (0-2, 11.25) and sophomore RHP Jesse Morris (0-0, 7.20) are slated to pitch against Air Force.
- Wofford is batting .299 as a team and fielding .927. The pitching staff has a 6.59 ERA.
Scouting USC Upstate
- USC Upstate is 6-1 on the season after sweeping Eastern Kentucky last weekend.
- The Runnin' Bulldogs are led offensively by junior CF Gaither Bumgardner, who is batting .533 with 10 RBIs.
- Gardner Webb is batting .319 as a team and fielding .971. The pitching staff has a 2.14 ERA.
Air Force-Opponent Connections
- Assistant coach Toby Bicknell and senior infielder Adam Hill are both natives of North Carolina, both hailing from Charlotte and attending Charlotte Christian HS.
- Air Force junior shortstop Matthew Roberts is a native of Greenville, S.C. Roberts attended Greenville High School.
- Former Air Force football coach Fisher DeBerry is a 1960 graduate of Wofford.
- DeBerry coached at Air Force from 1984-2006 and is the winningest football coach in service academy history with a 169-109-1 record.
- Sr. LHP Michael Ceci and Gardner Webb Jr. RHP Matt Liedberg are both natives of Marietta, Ga. Ceci attended Marietta HS while Liedberg attended Pope HS.
- So. OF Patrick Lobo and Gardner Webb Fr. RHP Jimmy Moore both hail from Miami, Fla. Lobo attended Coral Reef Senior HS, while Moore attended Westminster Christian HS.
- Sr. IF Adam Hill and Wofford Sr. RHP Bradley Mason are both Charlotte NC natives and were teammates at Charlotte Christian HS.
- Jr. SS Matthew Roberts and Wofford So. C Luke Feisal are both Greenville, SC natives and teammates at Greenville HS.
- Sr. IF Adam Hill and USC Upstate Fr. IF Anthony Dimino are both Charlotte natives. Dimino attended North Mecklenburg HS.
- Sr. LHP Michael Ceci and USC Upstate Jr. P Chris Knauff are both Marietta, Ga. natives. Knauff attended Walton HS.
- Jr. C/OF Garrett Custons and USC Upstate Fr. P Chad Sobotka are both Sarasota, Fla. natives. Custons attended Sarasota HS, while Sobotka attended Riverview HS.
Recapping Last Week vs. Navy at Freedom Classic
- Air Force went 2-1 last weekend vs. Navy at the Freedom Classic at Grainger Stadium in Kinston, N.C.
- The Falcons swept a Saturday doubleheader, winning game one 8-7 in 10 innings and taking game two, 10-4. The Falcons lost 7-4 on Sunday.
- The Falcons defeated Navy twice in a season for the first time since 1990.
- The Falcons batted .238, fielded .929 and had a team ERA of 1.29 in the series.
- The Falcon pitching staff allowed 18 runs against Navy, but just four were earned in 28 innings.
- So. RHP Cameron White pitched a career-high 7.1 innings and struck out a career-high seven batters.
- Sr. LHP Michael Ceci did not allow an earned run in 6.2 innings, striking out a career-high five batters.
- Sr. RHP Evan Abrecht fanned a season-high seven batters in seven innings pitched.
- The AFA starting pitchers combined to post a 1.71 ERA vs. Navy.
- The Falcon relievers did not allow an earned run in seven innings of work.
- Matthew Roberts led the Falcons on the weekend, batting .500 with two runs and two RBIs.
- David Thomas went 3-for-4 with a homer, triple and double in game one, to go with three runs and two RBIs.
- Alex Bast had three doubles in game two.
- Garrett Custons had a base hit in all three games and has hit safely in every game so far in 2012.
- Jake Schomaker had his first-career hit in game three.
Thomas Earns CollegeSportsMadness MW Player of the Week Honors
Freshman outfielder David Thomas earned Mountain West Player of the Week honors from CollegeSportsMadness.com for games played from Feb. 20-26.
Thomas batted .375 over the weekend against Navy. The rookie led Air Force to a 8-7 win against the Midshipmen, when he went 3-for-4 at the plate with a double, triple and homer to go with three runs and two RBIs.
Custons Earns MW Player of the Week Honors
Catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons earned Mountain West Baseball Player of the Week honors for games played from Feb. 13-19, 2012.
Custons hit .467 (7-for-15) with five extra-base hits in four games for Air Force as the Falcons were 1-3 in the opening weekend of the 2012 season. In the season opener on Feb. 17 against Alcorn State, Custons was 3-for-4 with three consecutive doubles and scored two runs in the 7-5 loss. Custons finished the day with a 2-for-4 performance against No. 8 LSU. He had a home run and a double and scored both Falcon runs in the 10-2 loss. Custons was 1-for-3 in a 6-1 win over Alcorn State on Sunday morning, followed by a 1-for-4 performance at the plate on Sunday afternoon in a 4-0 loss to LSU.
Pitching Off To A Solid Start In 2012
After two weeks into the season, the Air Force pitching staff is off to a very solid start. The Falcons currently post a 3.63 ERA. That total is .94 runs a game lower that last year and 6.12 runs per game lower than two years ago at the same point in the season.
Carley to Miss 2012 Season
Air Force junior right-hand pitcher Sean Carley will miss the entire 2012 after suffering an arm injury the weekday prior to the season-opening weekend. Carley will most likely undergo Tommy John surgery. Carley led Air Force with a 3.94 ERA as a sophomore, earning second-team All-Mountain West honors.
The Falcons will play a four game set at Portland next weekend, March 9-11.