Feb. 19, 2008
Game Notes in PDF Format
Air Force Baseball @ 2008 Service Academies Spring Classic
vs. Navy - Fri., Feb. 22 - 10 a.m. - USA Stadium - Millington, Tenn.
vs. Navy - Sat. Feb., 23 - 10 a.m. - USA Stadium - Millington, Tenn.
at Memphis - Sun. Feb. 24 - 1 p.m. - Nat Buring Stadium - Memphis, Tenn.
- Times local to site
Available for all three games via gametracker at
www.goairforcefalcons.com, www.navysports.com and www.gotigersgo.com
AF: Mike Hutcheon (Wayne State (Neb.), 1984) is 33-172 in his 5th year at Air Force and 272-312 in his 14th year as a head coach.
Navy: Paul Kostacopoulos (Providence, 1987) is 67-41 in his 3rd year at Navy and 571-373-1 in his 19th year as a head coach.
Memphis: Daron Schoenrock (Tennessee Tech, 1984) is 81-97 in his 4th year at Air Force and 106-149 in his sixth year as a head coach.
vs. Navy: AF leads 10-9
vs. Memphis: Series is tied, 6-6
vs. Navy: Navy swept a double-site, doubleheader, 7-1, 7-5, winning the first game in Millington then taking the second game in Memphis on Feb. 23, 2007.
vs. Memphis: Memphis defeated the Falcons, 10-4, in Daron Schoenrock's Memphis coaching debut on Feb. 25, 2005.
AF: Eight game losing streak to end 2007.
Navy: One game losing streak; four-game regular season winning streak.
Memphis: Three game losing streak to end 2007.
- The Falcons return six starters and 16 letterwinners.
- Air Force welcomes 17 newcomers, including 15 freshmen, to the team.
- 76.5 percent of the team is freshmen and sophomores.
- The Falcons are projected to start six sophomores, three freshmen and a senior on the field/batting order. A junior and two sophomores are slated to be the starting rotation.
- Senior outfielder Chay Derbigny and junior right-hander Jake Petro are the team captains.
- Derbigny is the top returning hitter with a .301 average in 2007.
- Petro is the top returning pitcher with a 3-9 record and 6.28 ERA in 77.1 innings last year.
- Senior catcher/RHP Josh Meents is the lone three-year letterwinner on the team.
2007 Falcons In Review
- Falcons went 8-44 in 2007 with a 0-23 Mountain West Conference record, finishing in seventh place.
- The team batted .272, which was 23 points better than the 2006 team.
- The team ERA was 8.36, which was 2.33 runs per game lower than the 2006 squad.
- Senior Karl Bolt led the team with a .354 batting average to go with eight home runs and 47 RBI.
- Senior Mitch Brown led the Falcons with a 5.87 ERA and pitched 76.2 innings in 22 appearances.
- The Falcons lost seniors Karl Bolt, Mitch Brown, Geno Salazar and Joe Peterson.
- Karl Bolt was named first-team all-MWC.
- Karl Bolt was a 15th round draft pick of the Philadelphia Phillies and went on to lead the Gulf Coast League in home runs and total bases.
- Freshman reliever Michael Ruvolo tied the school record with 33 pitching appearances.
- Shortstop K.J. Randhawa batted .405 in MWC play and earned freshman all-american honors.
In Season Openers
- Air Force is 30-21 all-time in season openers.
- The Falcons are 12-5 in their last 17 season openers and have opened the season with wins each of the last three years.
- Last year, the Falcons defeated York College, 4-2, in its season-opener.
- Air Force opens the season against Navy for the first-time ever.
Series History vs. Navy
- Air Force has played Navy 19 times, owning an 10-9 lead in the series. Navy has narrowed the gap in the last few years, taking the last four games over the last three years.
- This years' senior class has never defeated Navy.
- The two teams first met on March 3, 1990, where the Falcons swept a doubleheader, 9-1, 3-0, at the Service Academies Spring Classic.
- Air Force is 26-15 against service academy schools, going 16-6 all-time against Army.
Series History vs. Memphis
- Air Force has played Memphis 12 times and the series is tied at 6-6.
- The two teams first played on Feb. 29, 1992, a 5-4 Tiger win.
- Memphis has won the last two meetings in the series.
- Navy is coming off a 35-20 season in 2007. The 35 wins is a school record.
- Navy is led by two-time All-American Mitch Harris, a two-way star for the Mids. Harris was 8-4 on the mound, with 119 strikeouts in 88.1 innings pitched. Harris batted .294 with eight homers and 47 RBI.
- Navy batted .267 as a team and had a staff ERA of 3.88 in 2007.
- Memphis is coming off a 36-27 season in 2007 where they made the NCAA Regionals.
- The Tigers are led by senior outfielder K.K. Chalmers, who scored 58 runs and stole 33 bases last year. Junior right-hander Scott McGregor lead the Tiger pitchers with a 5-4 record to go with a 6.63 ERA in 73.1 innings pitched last year.
- Memphis batted .302 as a team and had a staff ERA of 5.88.
Air Force-Navy Connections
- Air Force freshman Nathan Carter and Navy's Kendall Bolt and Yale Eckert were teammates on the NorCal summer U-18 baseball team in Northern California during high school. Former Falcon, Karl Bolt, elder brother of Kendall, was also a member of the NorCal team. Prominent alumni of the NorCal team include MLB star's Jimmy Rollins, Pat Burrell and Troy Tulowitzki.
Complete notes available in PDF link at top of release.