Feb. 12, 2013
Series Notes in PDF
at UTSA - Friday, Feb. 15 - 6 pm
at UTSA - Saturday, Feb. 16 - 2 pm (DH)
at UTSA - Sunday, Feb. 17 - 1 pm
- All four games at Roadrunner Field - San Antonio, Texas
Live Stats/Internet Radio/Twitter ***Updated 2/14/13***
- Live stats for every game at goUTSA.com
- Live internet radio for Friday and Sunday games ***(None Saturday)***
- Twitter updates at: @UTSABSB and @AF_Falcons
AF: Mike Kazlausky (Maj. Retired) (USAFA, 1991) is 33-75 entering his third year.
UTSA: Jason Marshall (Texas A&M, 1996) is making his head coaching debut.
Air Force - 14-39 overall, 5-19 Mountain West (5th)
UTSA - 22-32 overall, 11-21 Southland (12th)
- Air Force opens season in the state of Texas for the second time in three years.
- Falcons opened 2011 at Texas State.
- Air Force has six players on its roster from Texas, the most of any state.
- Three AF starting pitchers vs. UTSA are from Texas.
Falcons Open 2013 at UTSA
The Air Force baseball team opens the 2013 season with four games at UTSA, Feb. 15-17, in San Antonio, Texas. Live internet broadcast and stats will be available for all four games.
Quick Recap of 2012
Air Force went 14-39 overall and 5-19 in Mountain West play last year in head coach Mike Kazlausky's second year.
Air Force returns 20 letterwinners, including nine starters on the field. The Falcons return nine pitchers, including two weekend starters.
The Falcons lose six seniors, two of which were starters and two of which were weekend starting pitchers. The Falcons lost first-team all-Mountain West second baseman Blair Roberts and ace pitcher Evan Abrecht to graduation.
Air Force welcomes 14 newcomers to the team, including nine pitchers.
Falcons In Season Openers
- Air Force is 32-24 all-time in season openers.
- Last year, the Falcons lost 5-7 to Alcorn State at Alex Box Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.
- UTSA went 22-32 in 2012, placing 12th in the Southland Conference. They are new members of the WAC conference in 2013.
- The Roadrunners batted .270, had a 5.58 team ERA and fielded .965.
- The top returning hitter for UTSA is Sr. OF Daniel Rockett (.266 avg., 5 HR, 40 RBI).
- The top returning pitcher for the Roadrunners is Jr. LHP Michael Kraft (8-6, 4.91).
- Air Force has six players on its roster from the state of Texas, the most of any state.
- Three of Air Force's four starting pitchers this weekend are Texas natives.
- Sr. RHP Jack Hourin and UTSA So. IF Grant Gibbs are both from Austin, Texas, and attended Lake Travis High School.
Falcons from Texas - Hometown/High School
Sr. RHP Alex Baker - McKinney/McKinney
Sr. LHP Ben Bertelson - Midland/Midland
Sr. RHP Jack Hourin - Austin/Lake Travis
Fr. RHP Jason Sanchez - San Antonio/Antonian Prep
So. OF David Thomas - Houston/Fort Bend Christian
Jr. RHP Cameron White - Colleyville/Grapevine
Falcons vs. WAC
- Air Force is 9-31 all-time vs. current schools from the WAC.
- The Falcons last opponent from the WAC was Sacramento State in 2011.
One Away from 1,000
The Air Force baseball program enters the 2013 with 999 wins as a program. The Falcons are 999-1,335-3 in 56 years as a program. Air Force's first win came against Western State back in 1957.
Custons Named Preseason All-MW
Air Force senior catcher/outfielder Garrett Custons was named to the 2013 Mountain West Preseason All-Conference team. Custons, a two-time All-MW selection at catcher was named to the team at designated hitter/utility. As a junior last season, Custons batted .316 with four home runs and 20 RBIs. The Sarasota, Fla., was one of the top defensive catchers in the nation, throwing out 66.7 percent of steal attempts (20-of-30) last year.
- Alex Bast (Sr. OF)
College Sports Madness Second Team All-MW
- Garrett Custons (Sr. C/OF)
Mountain West Preseason All-Conference
College Sports Madness First Team All-MW
- Seth Kline (Jr. IF/DH)
College Sports Madness Second Team All-MW
All Div. I Slate
Air Force's 2013 schedule is entirely vs. Div. I baseball teams for only the third time ever in the programs' 55 year history. The other seasons were 2005 and 2011.
Falcons Play First 18 On Road
Air Force will play its first 18 games--spanning over five weeks--on the road. The Falcons' home openers is March 19 vs. Nebraska-Omaha. Last year, the Falcons played 18 in a row to start the season on the road and 15 in a row to start 2011.
Baska Plays Football & Baseball for Falcons
Junior RHP/IF/OF David Baska spent this past fall with the Air Force football team as the punter. Baska averaged 39.2 yards per punt for the Falcon football team, which went 6-7 on the season. Baska is Air Force's first football/baseball player since Jason Brown (WR-RHP/1B) in 2003-04. Junior Seth Kline also played for the football team as a middle linebacker in 2010, but did not appear in any games.
All Mixed Up
Air Force has 11 players on its roster that bat or throw with the opposite hand/side. The Falcons feature six players that bat from the left side but throw right. Conversely, the Falcons have five players that bat righty and throw lefty.
Bats/Throws - # of Players
R/R - 22
L/L - 1
R/L - 5
L/R - 6
The Mountain West Conference features six teams in 2013 after the latest round of conference realignment. After the 2011 season, BYU (West Coast Conference) and Utah (Pac 12) departed the conference. In 2012-13, TCU departed for the Big 12, while Fresno State and Nevada joined the Mountain West from the WAC. In 2013-14, San Jose State joins from the WAC to make it s seven-team baseball conference.
The Falcons will play service academy brothers Navy, Feb. 22-24, at the Freedom Classic in Kinston, N.C.