April 2, 2008
USAF ACADEMY, Colo. - With a score that better resembled a football games', the Air Force baseball team crushed Doane College, 37-13, Wednesday afternoon at Falcon Field. Matt Alexander hit for the cycle and drove in 11 runs and Addison Gentry tied the school record with seven runs scored for the Falcons, who improved to 10-16. The 37 runs is a Mountain West Conference record and is the second-most in school history.
The Falcons racked up 26 hits in the game and batted around four times, including the first three innings. Alexander's 11 RBIs and Gentry's seven runs are also MWC records.
After scoring just one run in its previous three games and three in its previous four, the Falcons scored eight runs in the first inning. Following three runs by Doane (12-17) in the top of the second, AFA put up 11 runs in the bottom of the inning to go ahead 19-3.
The Tigers came right back with six runs in the third and three in the fourth. Air Force answered back, however, with five in the third, two in the fourth and three in the fifth. The Falcons tacked on seven more in the sixth to lead 36-12 after six. The two teams traded runs in the eighth.
Alexander finished the game 6-for-7 with five runs and two triples. His six hits and 14 total bases are also the second-most in a game at the Academy.
Gentry finished the day 3-for-5 with four RBIs, reaching base six times. Freshman Jon McMahon also had a day to remember, going 5-for-5 with three runs and five RBIs.
Daniel Walker added two hits and four RBIs, including a two-run triple in the second. Jeff Abt had two hits, scored five runs and walked four times. Nathan Carter also drew four of Air Force's 13 walks on the day. The Falcons were also drew six hit-by-pitches.
Falcon reliever Gregg Laswell (1-0) picked up the win with 3.1 innings of scoreless relief. Starter Matt Barattino went 2.2 innings. Chad Sheiner made his Air Force debut in relief. Adam Teach and Josh Meents also pitched for the Falcons.
Doane College used nine pitchers in the game. Starter Bryan Dutcher (2-4) took the loss, allowing five runs and was pulled after facing just six batters. The Tigers had 14 hits in the game. Evan Bumgarner and Time Engelhaupt both had three hits and drove in three apiece.
The Falcons return to action Friday, April 4, beginning at three-game conference set at TCU.
Air Force-Doane April 2, Game Notes:
- The 34 RBIs tied the school record set vs. Colorado College (CC) on May 10, 1967.
- The 37 runs is a Mountain West Conference record and the 34 RBIs ties a MWC record.
- The Falcons' four sacrifice-flies ties an MWC record.
- The Falcons stole six bases in the first inning, twice on double-steals, including one of home.
- Air Force stole eight bases in the game.
- Air Force scores 20 runs in a game for the first time since a 20-25 loss to Harvard on March 6, 2004.
- Air Force's 26 hits is sixth best in a game in school history.
- Air Force raised their team batting average 17 points from .241 to .258.
- Addison Gentry's seven runs is a MWC and AF record. Rick Starr scored seven vs. CC in 1967.
- Matt Alexander's 11 RBIs is a MWC record and second all-time at Air Force (John McBroom had 12 RBIs vs. CC in 1967).
- Matt Alexander's 14 total bases is second all-time at Air Force and 4th in the MWC.
- Abt and Carter tied MWC records with four walks in a game.
- Alexander became the first Falcon to hit for the cycle since Karl Bolt did so against Colorado Christian on March 7, 2007.