Feb. 4, 2013
U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo. - Feb. 4, 2013: The Academy rifle team will host UTEP on Feb. 9 in the final home match of the season. The last time the Falcons and the Miners met was on Oct. 27, 2012 in El Paso. Air Force won the match 4602-4501. The Falcons are coming off a 4636-4601 win against Nevada-Reno (Feb. 2).
Following the win, the Falcons' record is 17-3, which is Air Force's best record in 13 years, and the first time since 2006 (10th) that Air Force has received a national ranking (seventh - Jan. 29). The rifle team has been on a 12-game win streak since Nov. 3, 2012 when the rifle team won the President's Trophy Match against Army, Navy and the Coast Guard.
Head Coach Launi Meili, now in her sixth year, and the team have one goal -- make it to the national championships. To do that, Air Force needs to maintain its current team average above 4650. Following the UTEP match, Air Force will travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to compete against No. 2 TCU in the NCAA qualifier, Feb. 16. Team results from both matches, will determine the Falcons' final average. Teams and individual selections to the NCAA Championships will be made Feb. 21. Teams and individuals selected will compete in the NCAA Rifle Championships on March 8-9 at Ohio State in Columbus.
Air Force's Collegiate Season Records (2012-2013):
- Air Force set a team record on Jan. 12 when it beat Nebraska 4658-4643.
- The small bore squad set a record on Jan. 12 with 2311 points against Nebraska's 2303.
- In air rifle, the team set a 2353 record on Feb. 2 against Reno's 2319.
Individual Personal Best:
- So. Meredith Carpentier, 591/600 (Feb. 2)
- Fr. Tyler Rico, 592/600 (twice) (Oct. 12-13)
- Fr. Kevyn Stinett, 589/600 (twice) (Nov. 4, Jan. 12)
- Fr. David Higgins, 588/600 (Feb. 2)
- So. Craig O'Daniel, 582/600 (Oct. 28)
- Sr. Matt Kluckman, 584/600 (Oct. 13)
- Carpentier, 587/600 (Jan. 27).
- Rico, 577/600 (Jan. 27)
- Stinett, 582/600 (Jan. 12)
- O'Daniel, 580/600 (Oct. 13)
- Kluckman, 576/600 (Oct. 27)
- Higgins, 577/600 (Oct. 12)