POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
It is a privilege for the Air Force Academy cadet/student-athletes to serve Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas. They recognize all that this great community has done for them, however, organizations MUST comply with NCAA rules. Please review the following guidelines before submitting an official request. All requests must be submitted AT LEAST 4 WEEKS prior to the event to be considered.
All appearance requests must be submitted to the Community Relations Coordinator. Provided the request meets all NCAA rules, fulfillment is based on availability of the cadet/student-athlete, coach or administrator. Requests may be denied at the discretion of the department if they do not align with our mission. Appearances must not conflict with academic, athletic and military commitments. Also, they cannot exceed 3 hours (including transportation) and must be within a reasonable travel time.
NCAA regulations preclude its members from participating in or providing memorabilia for fundraising activities that either directly or indirectly benefit any student who has started the ninth grade. Provided the request meets all NCAA rules, fulfillment for ticket requests is based on available ticket inventory. Air Force Athletics is unable to provide memorabilia for autographs. Those requesting must supply the item. If you have any questions, please contact our Marketing and Development Community Coordinator, Denise Quelch, at 719-333-0261 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NCAA Bylaw 184.108.40.206 permits a charitable, educational or nonprofit agency to use a student-athlete's name, picture or appearance to support its charitable of educational activities provided the following:
- The student-athlete receives written approval to participate prior to the event;
- The specific activity or project in which the student-athlete participates does not involve co-sponsorship, advertisement or promotion by a commercial agency other than through the reproduction of the sponsoring company's officially registered regular trademark or logo on printed materials such as pictures, posters, or calendars. The company's emblem, name, address and telephone number may be included with the trademark or logo. Personal names, messages and slogans (other than an officially registered trademark) are prohibited;
- The name or picture of a student-athlete with remaining eligibility may not appear on an institution's printed promotional item (e.g., poster, calendar) that includes a reproduction of a product with which a commercial entity is associated if the commercial entity's officially registered regular trademark or logo also appears on the item;
- The student-athlete does not miss class;
- All moneys derived from the activity or project go directly to the member institution, member conference or the charitable, educational or nonprofit agency;
- The student-athlete may accept legitimate and normal expenses from the member institution, member conference or the charitable, educational or nonprofit agency related to participation in such activity, provided it occurs within the state or, if outside the state, within a 100-mile radius of the member institution's campus;
- The student-athlete's name, picture or appearance is not utilized to promote the commercial ventures of any nonprofit agency;
- Any commercial items with n names or pictures of student-athletes (other than highlight films or media guides per Bylaw 220.127.116.11) may be sold only at the member institution at which the student-athlete is enrolled, institutionally controlled (owned and operated) outlets or outlets controlled by the charitable or educational organization (e.g., location of the charitable or educational organization, site of the charitable event during the event);
- The student-athlete and an authorized representative of the charitable, educational or nonprofit agency sign a release statement ensuring that the student-athlete's name, image or appearance is used in a manner consistent with the requirements of this section.
Does your request meet the above requirements? If so, please take the necessary steps:
- If you are seeking a donation from Air Force Athletics for your cause or assistance in fundraising, please complete the Donation Request Form.
- If you are seeking an appearance by a representative of Air Force Athletics, please complete the Athlete Appearance Request Form.
Again, all requests must be submitted AT LEAST 4 WEEKS prior to the event to be considered.
Requests for coach/staff appearances are made directly with the respective coach and can be initiated by sending an email directly to the staff member.
To purchase tickets to an upcoming Air Force Athletics contest, or to learn more about our group sales fundraising program, please contact Group Ticket Sales Manager Bill Applebee at (719) 472-1895 or via email at William.Applebee@usafa.edu.
To become a sponsor, contact IMG Senior Account Executive Mitch Mann at (719) 333-9572 or via email at Mitch.Mann@imgworld.com.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Air Force Athletics Community Relations Coordinator, Laura Hutcheon at (719) 433-8973 or via email at Laura.Hutcheon.email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest and Go Falcons!
For more news about what the Air Force Academy athletes are doing in the community, click here to view our most recent newsletter, Hometown Heroes. (link to newsletter)