A quick preview of this weekend's game vs. Northwestern State
Air Force vs. Northwestern State
Saturday, Sept. 4, 12 p.m., Falcon Stadium (46,692), USAF Academy, CO
None. This is the only game not televised this season.
KVOR AM 740 in Colorado Springs; KCKK 1510 AM in Denver and Northern Colorado
Jim Arthur (play-by-play); Lee Douglas (analyst); Jay Ricci/Bob Ihle (pre- and post-game)
Record - 2009: Air Force (8-5, 5-3 MWC), Northwestern State (0-11, 0-7 Southland)
Streaks: Air Force (W 1), Northwestern State (L 11)
Next week: Air Force (vs. BYU, 9-11), Northwestern State (vs. Samford, 9-11)
Last game: Air Force (W 47-20 vs. Houston), Northwestern State (L 19-10 vs SF Austin)
Website: Air Force (goairforcefalcons.com), Northwestern State (nsudemons.com)
Air Force: Troy Calhoun (Air Force, 1989) is in his fourth season. He has led the Falcons to a 25-14 career record. Calhoun is 9-6 vs. non-conference opponents, including a 5-1 mark at home, 14-4 in Falcon Stadium and 8-4 in the month of September.
Northwestern State: Bradley Dale Peveto (SMU, 1986) in in his second season. He has an 0-11 career record.
• Air Force and Northwestern State are meeting for the first time.
• This game marks Air Force's second vs. a team from the Southland Conference (Nicholls State, 2009).
• Air Force defeated Nicholls State, 72-0, to open last year.
• Air Force is 33-19-2 overall in season openers, including a 28-8 mark in season openers at home.
• Air Force has won three straight and four of the last six season openers with the only losses coming at No. 11 Tennessee in 2006 and vs. No. 13 California in 2004.
• The Falcons have won five of the last six season openers at home with the only loss coming vs. No. 13 California in 2004.
• Air Force has won 12 straight season openers vs. unranked teams dating back to 34-21 setback vs. Colorado State in 1994.
• Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun is 3-0 in season openers, all three coming at home.
AIR FORCE VS. FCS TEAMS
Air Force is 14-0 all-time againsts teams from the Football Championship Subdivision.